Nathan W. Dougherty Engineering Building
Built in 1963, the Nathan W. Dougherty building is named after Nathan Dougherty, dean of the COE from 1940 until 1956. The facility is currently home to the Departments of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, and Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering.The national headquarters of Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honor society, is also currently located in Dougherty.
- Graduate Program Office: DO 414
- Department Head Office: DO 410
- Business/Accounting Offices: DO 404–405
- Undergraduate Advising Center: DO 316A
- DO 442
- Rinehart S. Bright Laboratory, DO 110
- Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion Lab, DO M003
- The Advanced Laser Diagnostics Laboratory, DO M002
- Robotics, Engineering, Applied Continuum Mechanics, and Healthcare (REACH) Laboratory, DO 305
- Bioinspired Materials and Transduction Laboratory, DO 302 and 608.
- Maker Studio, DO 102B
- Neuromuscular Biomechanics Laboratory, DO 203
- Heat Transfer Laboratory, DO M008
- Automotive Emissions Research Lab, DO M005
Advanced Powertrains, Controls and System Integration Laboratories
- HEV Modeling and Simulation Laboratory, DO M19
- HEV Hardware in the Loop Laboratory, DO M20
- Vehicle Fabrication and Integration Laboratory, DO 101
- Dynamometer Laboratory, TANDEC 107
Dougherty Building classrooms are managed by the Office of the University Registrar.
Science and Engineering Research Facility
Constructed in 1997, the Science and Engineering Research Facility (SERF), is a 230,000 square foot facility dedicated to research laboratories utilized by both the College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Micro/Nano-Scale Fluidics and Energy Transport Lab, SERF 523-524
- SERF 517
- SERF 515A
- SERF 515B
Perkins Hall was constructed in 1949. The building is named after Charles A. Perkins, the former chair for the engineering department before it was established as a separate academic unit. The COE’s administrative offices are located in Perkins. Offices of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering are housed here, as well as parts of the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering.
- Nonlinear BioDynamics Lab, Perkins B51
- 310 Suite
Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering Design Suites
Built in 2001, Senter Hall provides the College of Engineering with nearly 10,000 square feet of laboratory space for four different departments, including the Ion Beam Materials Laboratory (IBML). Formerly known as the White Avenue Biology Annex, it was renamed Senter Hall (SNT) in 2010 in honor of Tennessee Governor DeWitt Clinton Senter (1869-1871), whose actions preserved the land grant status of UT. Senter Hall is a shared facility with the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Heart Valve Mechanobiology Lab, SNT 105
- Nano-BioMaterials Laboratory for Energy, Energetics and Environment (NBML-e3), SNT 104 and SNT 116