Assistant Professor, Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Engineering Research Associate, Bioengineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellow, Bioengineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Research Assistant, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville
Regional Site Manager, Computer Motion, Inc., Santa Barbara, CA
Clinical Development Specialist, Computer Motion, Inc., Santa Barbara, CA
- Development of computational tools and their application to complex biodynamic systems
- Forward dynamics simulation-based treatment planning (to yield more reliable outcomes)
- Patient-specific modeling (beyond basic scaling methods)
- Inverse dynamics simulation (to predict novel movements)
- Optimization techniques (for system identification problems)
- Surgical robotics (for minimally invasive surgery)
- Clinical feasibility and investigative studies (for product development)
Postdoc, 2008, Stanford University, Bioengineering
Ph.D., 2006, University of Florida, Mechanical Engineering
M.S., 2003, University of Florida, Biomedical Engineering
B.S., 1996, University of Florida, Engineering Science
- International Society of Biomechanics Technical Group on Computer Simulation
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Tissue Mechanics Working Group, National Institutes of Health Interagency Modeling and Analysis Group
Awards and Recognitions
UT College of Engineering 2015 Excellence in Teaching Award
Morgan, K.D., Donnelly, C.J., and Reinbolt, J.A. "Elevated gastrocnemius forces compensate for decreased hamstrings forces during the weight-acceptance phase of single-leg jump landing: implications for anterior cruciate ligament injury risk." Journal of Biomechanics, 47(13):3295-3302, 2014.
Paquette, M.R., Zhang, S., Milner, C.E., Fairbrother, J.T., and Reinbolt, J.A. "Effects of increased step width on frontal plane knee biomechanics in healthy adults during stair descent." The Knee, 21(4):821-826, 2014.
Reinbolt, J.A., Fox, M.D., Schwartz, M.H., and Delp, S.L. "Predicting outcomes of rectus femoris transfer surgery." Gait & Posture, 30(1):100-105, 2009.
Tawhai, M., Bischoff, J., Einstein, D., Erdemir, A., Guess, T., Reinbolt, J. "Multiscale modeling in computational biomechanics: determining computational priorities and addressing current challenges." IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, 28(3):41-49, 2009
Reinbolt, J.A., Fox, M.D., Arnold, A.S., Aunpuu, S., and Delp, S.L. "Importance of Preswing Rectus Femoris Activity in Stiff-Knee Gait." Journal of Biomechanics, 41(11):2362-2369, 2008.
Reinbolt, J.A., Haftka, R.T., Chmielewski, T.L., and Fregly, B.J. "A computational framework to predict post-treatment outcome for gait-related disorders." Medical Engineering & Physics, 30(4):434-443, 2008.
Reinbolt, J.A., Haftka, R.T., Chmielewski, T.L., and Fregly, B.J. "Are patient-specific joint and inertial parameters necessary for accurate inverse dynamics analyses of gait?" IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 54(5):782-793, 2007.
Reinbolt, J.A., Schutte, J.F., Fregly, B.J., Haftka, R.T., George, A.D., and Mitchell, K.H. "Determination of patient-specific multi-joint kinematic models through two-level optimization." Journal of Biomechanics, 38(3):621-626, 2005.