Skip to content

Progression to Upper Division

The first two years of the curriculum are considered to be lower division and the two remaining years upper division. Students must apply for progression to departmental upper division courses, which depends on academic performance. Factors considered include overall grade point average, performance in selected lower division courses and evidence of orderly progression through the prescribed curriculum.

To apply for admission to upper division after completing 42 credit hours of lower division course work, complete form for 2006 and earlier catalogs or form for the 2007 catalog; turn form in to MABE office (Room 443 Dougherty) for approval.

Full Status

A lower division student may apply for progression to upper division after completing Chemistry 120, Engineering Fundamentals 202, Mathematics 231, Mechanical Engineering 231 and 321, and Physics 231, with a grade of C or better in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.40.

Provisional Status

Students who have completed Chemistry 120, Engineering Fundamentals 202, Mathematics 231, Mechanical Engineering 231 and 321, and Physics 231 with a grade of C or better and have an overall GPA between 2.00 and 2.40 may apply for provisional status.

The granting of provisional status is based on the availability of space in departmental programs after full status students have been accommodated. Provisional status students are required to demonstrate their ability to perform satisfactorily in upper division by attaining a minimum GPA of 2.00 in the first 12 credit hours of 300-level requirement engineering courses. Award of upper division full status is dependent upon this performance.

Students with an overall GPA less than 2.00 will not be admitted to upper division. Students who have not progressed to upper division will be dropped from departmental class rolls.

Transfer Students

Students transferring more than 26 credit hours from another institution are considered transfer students. Transfer students must meet the same criteria as non-transfer students using transfer grades for acceptable substitutions.

Loss of Full Status

Full status students are expected to maintain an overall GPA of 2.00 and a GPA of 2.00 in departmental courses. Failure to maintain these levels of performance will result in a review of the student’s progress and possible loss of full status.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

Report an accessibility barrier.Privacy.