August 2016 - Present
Assistant Professor in Aerospace Engineering
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
September 2014 - July 2016
Research Associate in Computational Mechanics
Applied Research Laboratory, Penn State University
Ultra-efficient aircraft, natural-laminar-flow technologies, high-speed flows, rotorcraft aerodynamics, transition and turbulence modeling, hybrid RANS/LES methods, and aerodynamic shape optimization
PhD, 2014, Penn State University
MS, 2010, Penn State University
BS, 2008, Penn State University
- Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Member, Vertical Flight Society
- Associate Member, AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Technical Committee (APATC)
- Chair of APATC Technical Activities
- Peer reviewer for AIAA Journal, Journal of Aircraft, Aerospace Science and Technology, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Experiments in Fluids, Computers and Fluids, Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, and more
Awards and Recognitions
- TCE Dean's Junior Faculty Research Excellence Award, 2018-2020
- New Faculty Research and Engagement Award, 2019
- MABE Louis and Ann Hoffman Endowed Excellence in Research Award, 2017
Carnes, J. A. and Coder, J. G., “Effect of Crossflow Transition on the PSP Rotor in Hover,” Journal of Aircraft (recommended for publication, under revision).
Carnes, J. A. and Coder, J. G., “Numerical Investigation of Unsteady Boundary Layer Transition on a Dynamically Pitching Rotor,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society (recommended for publication, under revision).
Lash, E. L., Gragston, M., Kreth, P., McDaniel, Z., Coder, J. G., and Schmisseur, J. D., “Upstream Influence in Shock Wave/Transitional Boundary Layer Interactions at Mach 1.8,” AIAA Journal (recommended for publication, under revision).
Coder, J. G., “Overview of the AFT Model for Transition Prediction in Complex Aerodynamic Flows,” in IUTAM Laminar-Turbulent Transition: 9th IUTAM Symposium, London, UK, September 2–6, 2019, Eds. S. Sherwin, P. Schmid, and X. Wu, Springer, 2021.
Coder, J. G. and Somers, D. M., “Design of a slotted, natural-laminar-flow airfoil for commercial transport applications,” Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 106, 2020, pp. 106217. doi: 10.1016/j.ast.2020.106217
Coder, J. G., “Design of a Low-Speed Slotted, Natural-Laminar-Flow Airfoil Reproducing Transonic Behaviors,” Journal of Aircraft, 2020 (Articles in Advance). doi: 10.2514/1.C035887
Coder, J. G., Pulliam, T. H., and Jensen, J. C., “High-Lift Simulations of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency Standard Model,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 56, No. 5, 2019, pp. 1822-1832. doi: 10.2514/1.C035268
Coder, J. G. and Ortiz-Melendez, H. D., “Transitional Delayed Detached Eddy Simulation of Multielement, High-Lift Airfoils,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 56, No. 4, 2019, pp. 1303-1312. doi: 10.2514/1.C035161