Professor, Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering, University of Tennessee
Associate Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, University of Tennessee
NASA/ASEE Faculty Research Fellow, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, University of Tennessee
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Delaware
- Design and calibration of plug-type heat flux and temperature dual-gauge sensors
- Design and calibration of total heat transfer sensors for scramjet combustor
- Estimation of surface thermal conditions using calibrated sensors
- Modeling of thermal response of Charring-Decomposing Ablators
- Buoyancy affected fluid flow and heat transfer
Ph.D. 1983, The Ohio State University
MSME 1979, The Ohio State University
BSME 1977, Trine University (formerly Tri-State University)
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Scientific Committee Member of 2nd International Conference on Heat Transfer Devices (ICHTD’17)
- Member, American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Past Chairman (1994-97), K-19 Committee on Environmental Heat Transfer, ASME Heat Transfer Division
- Past Chairman (1986-89) Committee on Visualization of Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, ASME Heat Transfer Division
Awards and Recognitions
- Pi Tau Sigma Outstanding Teacher Award, 2006
- B. Ray Thompson Sr. Professorship Award, 2002
- Robert M. Condra Professorship Award, 1997-1999
- Moses E. and Mayme Brooks Distinguished Professor Award, 1995
Myrick, J.A., Keyhani, M, and J.I. Frankel, “Inverse Prediction of Temperature through Time Rescaling of High Temperature Experimental Data”, Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, Vol.8, No. 4 (2016) 041005 (12 pages) doi: 10.1115/1.4034093.
Chen, H.C., J.I. Frankel, and M. Keyhani, “Two-Dimensional Formulation for Inverse Heat Conduction Problems by the Calibration Integral Equation Method”, Applied Mathematical Modeling, Volume 40, Issues 13–14, (2016), pp. 6588–6603 (doi:10.1016/j.apm.2016.02.003).
Chen, Y-Y., Frankel, J.I., and M. Keyhani, “A Nonlinear, Rescaling Based Inverse Heat Conduction Calibration Method and Optimal Regularization Parameter Strategy”, AIAA J. Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 30, No. 1 (2016), pp.67-88 (doi: 10.2514/1.T4572).
Chen, H., Keyhani, M. and J.I. Frankel, “A New Thermophysical Property Estimation Approach based on Calibration Equations and Rescaling Principle”, Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, Vol. 8, No. 2 (2015) pp. 021013-021023, doi: 10.1115/1.4032179.
Frankel, J.I. and M. Keyhani, “Inverse Ablation Analysis and the Calibration Integral Equation Method”, AIAA J.Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, (on line available), doi: 10.2514/1.T4625.
Frankel, J.I. and M. Keyhani, “Nonlinear Inverse Calibration Heat Conduction through Property Physics”,AIAA J. Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 203-217 (2014). doi:10.2514/T4269
Frankel, J.I., M. Keyhani, “Phase-Plane Analysis and Cross-Correlation for Estimating Optimal Regularization Parameters in Inverse Heat Conduction Problems”, AIAA J. Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 28, No. 3 (2014) pp.542-548.(doi: 10.2514/1.T4357).
Chen, Y.Y., Frankel, J.I., and M. Keyhani, “A New Nonlinear Surface Heat Flux Calibration Method based on Kirchhoff Transformation and Rescaling Principles”, Inverse Problems in Sciences and Engineering, Vol. 22, #8 (2014), pp.1394-1421). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17415977.2014.880906).
Frankel, J.I., and M. Keyhani, “Theoretical Development of a New Surface Heat Flux Calibration Method for Thin-Film Resistive Temperature Gauges and Co-Axial Thermocouples”, Shock Waves, Vol. 23, Issue 2, pp 177-188 (2013). doi: 10.1007/s00193-012-0418-3
Elkins, B., M. Keyhani, and J.I. Frankel, “Surface Heat Flux Prediction Through Physics-Based Calibration- Part 2: Experimental Verification, AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 27, No. 2 , pp. 206-216 (2013).doi: 10.2514/1.T3918
Frankel, J.I., M. Keyhani, and B. Elkins, “Surface Heat Flux Prediction Through Physics-Based Calibration- Part 1: Theory, AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer , Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 189-205 (2013). doi: 10.2514/1.T3917
Frankel, Keyhani, Arimilli and Wu “Rate-based sensors for advance real-time analysis and diagnostics”, U.S. Patent No. 7539587, May 26, 2009.
Keyhani, M., “Method and Apparatus for Detecting Ice or Frost Deposition,” U.S. Patent 6,328,467, December 11, 2001.