Senior Scientist, Composites and Additive Manufacturing, Joint Faculty Associate Professor
Dr. Soydan Ozcan is a Senior Scientist in Materials Science & Technology Division of Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and Joint Associate Professor of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering Department in University of Tennessee Knoxville. He is the Thrust Lead for Development of Bio Derived Polymers Composites for Additive Manufacturing at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. His research addresses the broad and vital issue of identifying novel, high value biomaterials from biomass, and viable processes for their preparation for composite and additive manufacturing applications. He also leads the Composite Recycling Effort for Institute for Advanced Manufacturing Composite Innovation (IACMI). He facilitates the development of composite recycling technologies and utilizing of various composite techniques to repurpose them into useful applications. His team is developing manufacturing techniques and exploring new materials to improve energy efficiency during composite manufacturing, decrease material waste, and improve material performance. He has actively initiate new programs and has been the principal investigator for over twenty R&D projects including research in the areas of fiber and composite manufacturing, composite recycling, and bio-derived materials manufacturing. Applied R&D of Ozcan’s team engages over twenty industrial partners, and delivers research with more direct applications to society. He has published more than 40 papers, holds 3 patents with 8 pending, has published 7 book chapters, and has been an active speaker with more than a hundred of presentations and short courses given on fibers and composites related topics and research.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2012 Engineering Research and Development Award, UT-Battelle
- 2010 Significant Event Award, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- 2010 Gordon Battelle Prize for Technology Impact, “Low-cost Carbon Fiber and Composites”
- 2008 The Outstanding SAE Technical Papers
- 2008 Dissertation Research Award, SIU
- Y. Lu, E. Poole, T. Aytug, H. Meyer, S. Ozcan, Control of Indium Tin Oxide Nanostructure Morphology using Nanocellulose Templates, RSC Advances 5: 103680-103685 (2015)
- Y. Lu, S. Ozcan, Green nanomaterials: On track for a sustainable future, NanoToday 3: 417-420 (2015)
- A. Morris, M. Weisenberger, M. Abdallah, F. Vautard, H. Grappe, FL. Paulauskas, C. Eberle, D. Jackson, S. Mecham, AK. Naskar, S. Ozcan, High Performance Carbon Fibers from Very High Molecular Weight Polyacrylonitrile Precursors, Carbon, 101: 245–252 (2016)
- D. Saha, J. Chen, Y. Lu, S. Ozcan, High equilibrium adsorption selectivity of CO2, CH4 and N2 in Micro-Mesoporous Nanographene, ACS J. of Chem. And Engr. Data 60 (9): pp 2636–2645 (2015)
- Y. Lu, A.A. Armentrout, J Li, H.L. Tekinalp, J. Nanda, S. Ozcan, A cellulose nanocrystal-based composite electrolyte with superior dimensional stability for alkaline fuel cell membranes Chemistry of Materials 3: 13350-56 (2015)
- Y. Lu, MC. Cueva, E. Lara-Curzio, S. Ozcan, Improved mechanical properties of polylactide nanocomposites-reinforced with cellulose nanofibrils through interfacial engineering via amine-functionalization, Carbohydrate Polymers 131: 208-17 (2015)
- F. Vautard, H. Grappe, S. Ozcan, Engineered Interface Chemistry to Improve the Mechanical Properties of Carbon Fiber Composites cured by electron beam. ACS Ind & Engr Chem Res. 53:12729-36 (2014)
- H. Tekinalp, V. Kunc, G. Velez-Garcia, A.K. Naskar, C. Duty, C. Blue, L. Love. C. Blue, S. Ozcan. Highly Oriented Carbon Fiber-Polymer Composites via Additive Manufacturing, Composite Science and Technology, 105:144-150 (2014).
- S. Ozcan, P. Filip, Wear of carbon fiber reinforced carbon matrix composites: Study of abrasive, oxidative wear and influence of humidity, Carbon, 62: 240-247 (2013)
- F. Vautard, P. Grappe, S. Ozcan, Stability of carbon fiber surface functionality at elevated temperatures and its influence on interfacial adhesion, Applied Surface Science, 268: 61-72 (2013)
- F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, L. Poland, H. Meyer, M Nardin, “Influence of thermal history on the mechanical properties of carbon fiber acrylate composites cured by electron beam and thermal processes, Composite Part A, 45, 162-172 (2013)
- F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, F. Paulauskas, J. Spruiell, H. Meyer, M Lance, “Influence of the carbon fiber surface microstructure on the surface chemistry generated by a thermo-chemical surface treatment” Applied Surface Science, Applied Surface Science, 261: 473-480 (2012)
- F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, H. Meyer, “Properties of thermo-chemically surface treated carbon fibers and of their epoxy and vinyl ester composites” Composite Part A, 43: 1120-1133 (2012)
- S.Ozcan, F. Vautard, A.K. Naskar,Structure and properties of carbon fibers, Polymer Precursor-Derived Carbon, ACS Book Chapter, 1173: 215-232, (2014).
- S. Ozcan, J. Tezcan, J. Howe, P. Filip, “Study on elasto-plastic behavior of different carbon types in carbon/carbon composites”Mechanical Properties and Performance of Engineering Ceramics and Composites IV, vol 29(2): 141-150 (2008)
- S. Ozcan, B. Gurung, P Filip, “Measurement of the matrix/fiber interfacial strength of carbon/carbon composites”,Ceramic Trans. vol 27(2): 217-223 (2006).
- S. Ozcan, M. Woldemicheal, S. Iqbal, P. Filip, “Microstructure and thermal properties of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional C/C composites”,Ceramic Trans, vol. 27(2): 233-244 (2006)
- D.E. Wittmer, S. Ozcan, M. Krkoska, P. Filip,“Effect of heat treatment on crystal structure and wear performance of carbon-carbon composites” Ceramic Trans. vol 27(2): 665-675 (2006).
- S. Ozcan, M. Krkoska, P. Filip “Frictional performance and local properties of C/C composites”. Ceramic Trans., vol 26(8): 127-138(2005).
- S. Ozcan and R. Koc. “Synthesis and characterization of Al2O3-SiC composite powders from carbon coated precursors” Ceramic Trans, vol 166: 123-130 (2005).
- S. Ozcan and R. Koc, “Microstructure and electrical conductivity studies of (La,Sr)(Cr,Mn,Co)O3” Ceramic Trans, vol 161: 13-21 (2005).
PATENTS (Issued and Pending)
- S. Ozcan, Y. Lu, Method of making controlled morphology metal-oxides, (2016) U.S. Patent No. 14/551,460
- FL Paulasukas, S. Ozcan, A. Naskar, “Apparatus and process for surface treatment of carbon fibers”, (2016) U.S. Patent No. 9,340,677
- . Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulasukas, Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix. (2016). U.S. Patent No. 9,365,685
- S. Ozcan, Infrared-Blocking Nanocellulose Aerogel Windows, (2015) US. Patent Application No. 62/132,178
- S.Ozcan, H. Tekinalp, Thermoset Composite having Thermoplastic Characteristics. US. Patent Application No. 62/180,181
- S.Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, Carbon Fiber Reinforcements for Sheet Molding Composites, (2015), U.S. Patent Application No. 14/672,703
- S. Ozcan, AK. Naskar, Method of Manufacturing Tin-Doped Indium Oxide Nanofibers, (2015), U.S. Patent Application No. 14/673,130
- F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, Multifunctional curing agents and their use in improving strength of composites containing carbon fibers embedded in a polymeric matrix, (2013). U.S. Patent Application No. 14/ 107,416
- F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulasukas, Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix. U.S. Patent Application No. 13/406,732, Divisional US. 2013/0224470 A2. (2013)
- F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulasukas, Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix. U.S. Patent Application No. 13/406,732, Divisional US. 2013/0224470 A3. (2013)
- F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulasukas, Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix. U.S. Patent Application No. 13/406,732, Divisional US. 2013/0224470 A4. (2013)
- A.K. Naskar, S. Ozcan, FL Paulasukas, C. Eberle, M. Abdallah, G. Ludtka, G. Ludtka, F. Paulauskas, J. Rivard. Magneto-carbonization method for production of carbon fiber, and high performance carbon fibers made thereby, U.S. Patent Application No. 13/833,834, (2013).