Distinguished Research Staff at ORNL and Joint Faculty Professor at UT
Distinguished R&D Staff, Computational Sciences and Engineering Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Joint Faculty Professor, Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Lasers and Optics
- Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos
- Control and Synchronization in Extended Systems
- Josephson Junction Arrays
- Cryogenic Memory Design
- Friction at the Atomistic Scale
Ph.D., Chemical Physics, Tel - Aviv University, 1993
- Member APS
- Member OSA
- Reviewer for Multiple Scientific Journals
- Co-Organizer of Multiple Scientific Conferences
- Invited Speaker to Multiple Conferences, Laboratories, and Universities
Awards and Recognitions
1995 Article highlighted on the cover page of Nature and in Nature News & Views, Taming Spatiotemporal Chaos with Disorder.
2000 Award for outstanding technical achievement, UT-Battelle, LLC
2009 Significant Event Award, UT-Battelle, LLC
2013 Significant Event Award, UT-Battelle, LLC
2013 R&D 100 Award
2016 Significant Event Award, UT-Battelle, LLC
2016 Article was selected for the Superconductor Science and Technology 2016 Highlight Collection, Memory Cell Operation Based on Small Josephson Junction Arrays.
Braiman, N. Nair, J. Rezac, and N. Imam, “Memory Cell Operation Based on Small Josephson Junction Arrays”, Superconductor Science and Technology 129, 124003 (2016).
B. Liu, Y. Braiman, “Coherent beam combining of high power broad area laser diode array with near diffraction limited beam quality and high power conversion efficiency,” Optics Express 21, 31218- 31228 (2013).
B. Liu, Y. Liu, and Y. Braiman, “Coherent Beam Combining of High Power Broad-Area Laser Diode Array with a Closed V-Shape External Talbot Cavity”, Optics Express 18, 7361(2010).
B. Liu, Y. Liu, and Y. Braiman, “Coherent Addition of High Power Laser Diode Array with a V-Shape External Talbot Cavity”, Optics Express 16, 20935 (2008).
Y. Guo, Z. Qu, Y. Braiman, Z. Zhang, and J. Barhen, “Nanotribology and Nanoscale Friction”, IEEE Controls System Magazine 28(6), 92 (2008).
Y. Braiman and T. Egami, Transitions from Smooth to Oscillatory Fracture Propagation in Brittle Metallic glasses, Phys. Rev. E 77, 065101(R) (2008).
V. Danilov et. al, Proof-of-principle demonstration of high efficiency laser-assisted H- beam conversion to protons, Physical Review Special Topics-Accelerators and Beams 10, 053501 (2007).
S. Jeon, T. Thundat, and Y. Braiman, Effect of Normal Vibration on Friction in the Atomic Force Microscopy Experiment, Appl. Phys. Lett. 88, 214102 (2006).
Y. Braiman, J. Barhen, and V. Protopopescu, Controlling Friction at the Nanoscale, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 094301 (2003).
H. G. E. Hentschel, F. Family, and Y. Braiman, Friction Selection in Nonlinear Particle Arrays, Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 104 (1999).
Y. Braiman, H. G. E. Hentschel, F. Family, C. Mak, and J. Krim, Tuning Friction with Noise and Disorder, Phys. Rev. E 59, R4737 (1999).
Y. Braiman, F. Family, H. G. E. Hentschel, Array Enhanced Friction in the Periodic Stick-Slip Motion of Nonlinear Oscillators, Phys. Rev. E 53, R3005 (1996).
P. Colet and Y. Braiman, Control of Chaos in Multimode Solid State Lasers by Use of Small Periodic Perturbations, Phys. Rev. E 53, 200 (1996).
Y. Braiman, J. F. Lindner, and W. L. Ditto, Taming Spatiotemporal Chaos with Disorder", Nature 378, 465 (1995).
Y. Braiman, W. L. Ditto, M. L. Spano, and K. Wiesenfeld, Disorder-Enhanced Synchronization, Phys. Lett. A 206, 54 (1995).
Y. Braiman, T. A. B. Kennedy, K.Wiesenfeld, and A. Khibnik, Entrainment of Solid-State Laser Arrays, Phys. Rev. A 52, 1500 (1995).
Y. Braiman and I. Goldhirsch, Taming Chaos with Weak Periodic Perturbations, Phys. Rev. Lett. 66, 2545 (1991).
Y. Braiman, Y. Baumgarten, Joshua Jortner, and J. Klafter, Symmetry Breaking Phase Transition in Finite Frenkel-Kontorova Chains, Phys. Rev. Lett. 65, 2398 (1990).
E. Ben Jacob, Y. Braiman, R. Shainsky, and Y. Imry, Microwave induced "Devil's Staircase" Structure and Chaotic Behavior in Current- fed Josephson Junctions, Appl. Phys. Lett. 38, 822 (1981).
- Y. Braiman, J. M. Drake, F. Family, and J. Klafter, eds., Dynamics and Friction in Submicrometer Confining Systems, ACS Symposium Series 882, Oxford University Press (2004).
- Nair, E. Bochove, and Y. Braiman, “Transverse Modes of Coupled Nonlinear Oscillator Array”, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Applications in Nonlinear Dynamics (ICAND 2016), V. In, P. Longhini, and A. Palacios eds., Springer International Publishing AG, 2017.
- B. Liu, P. Colet, and Y. Braiman, “Semiconductor Laser Beam Combining”, in Semiconductor Lasers, Fundamentals and Applications A. Baranov and E. Tournie eds., Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2013.
- S. Jeon, T. Thundat, and Y. Braiman, Frictional Dynamics at the Atomic Scale in Presence of Small Oscillations of the Sliding Surface, in Superlubricity, A. Erdemir and J.-M. Martin eds, Elsevier (2007).
- Y. Liu and Y. Braiman, Dynamics and Synchronization in a Broad-Area Semiconductor Laser Array with External Optical Feedback, in Experimental Chaos VIII, S. Boccaletti, B. J. Gluckman, J. Kurths, L. Pecora, R. Meucci, and O. Yordanov eds, American Institute of Physics (2004).
- Y. Braiman, J. Barhen, and V. Protopopescu, Non-Lipschitzian Control of Friction, in Dynamics and Friction in Submicrometer Confining Systems, in Y. Braiman, J. M. Drake, F. Family, and J. Klafter eds., ACS Symposium Series 882, Oxford University Press (2004).
- Y. Braiman, J. Barhen, and V. Protopopescu, Non-Lipschitzian Control Algorithm for Nanoscale Friction, in Dynamics in Small Confining Systems - 2003, MRS Proceedings vol. 790, Materials Research Society (2004).
- F. Family, Y. Braiman, H. G. E. Hentschel, Attractor Hopping - a Mechanism for Stick-Slip Dynamics, in Friction, Arching, Contact Dynamics, Eds. D. E. Wolf, and P. Grassberger, World Scientific (1996).
- Y. Braiman, E. Ben Jacob, and Y. Imry Microwave Induced Harmonic and Subharmonic Steps in the I-V Characteristics of the Current Fed Josephson Junctions, SQUID 80, 783, Eds. by H. D. Hahlbohm and H. Lubbig (de Gruyter, Berlin 1980).
- Y. Braiman and Y. Liu, “Master Laser Injection of Broad Area Lasers”, U.S. patent 6782016, issued August 2004.
- V. Kireev, Y. Liu, V. Protopopescu, and Y. Braiman, “Cascaded Injection Resonator for Coherent Beam Combining of Laser Arrays”, U.S. patent 7440483, issued October 2008.
- J. Barhen, Y. Braiman, and V. Protopopescu, “Control of Friction at the Nanoscale”, U.S. Patent 76393587 issued April, 2010.
- Liu, Y. Liu, and Y. Braiman, “Resonator Design for Coherent Addition of Semiconductor Laser Arrays”, U. S. Patent 8340151, issued December 2012.
Braiman, N. Imam, and B. Neschke, “Memory Cell Design Comprising Coupled Josephson Junctions” (pending). U.S. App. No. 15/726,173. File date: 05-Oct-2017.