Graduate programs leading to the MS and PhD are available with majors in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, biomedical engineering, and engineering science. A dual MS-MBA program is available with a major in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or biomedical engineering.
Within the engineering science concentrations, interdisciplinary programs are arranged to meet individual needs or interests. The flexibility and interdisciplinary aspect of the program concentrations are intended to be of particular interest to prospective students currently employed in research, development, or design activities and whose interests in continuing education (either full-time or part-time) lie at one of the interfaces between science and engineering or can best be met by interdisciplinary study in engineering. The program’s course offerings and research activities are also intended to meet the needs of students who seek preparation for employment in engineering areas requiring specialization in mechanics or in related interdisciplinary studies such as bio-mechanics.
MABE offers graduate degree programs in the following areas:
- Aerospace Engineering Major, MS
- Aerospace Engineering Major, PhD
- Automotive Manufacturing, Simulation and Design in Mechanical Engineering, MS and PhD
- Biomedical Engineering Major, MS
- Biomedical Engineering Major, PhD
- Dual MS-MBA Program – Aerospace Engineering
- Dual MS-MBA Program – Biomedical Engineering
- Dual MS-MBA Program – Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Major, MS
- Mechanical Engineering Major, PhD
- Reliability and Maintainability Engineering Graduate Certificate – Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering concentration
- Reliability and Maintainability Engineering Major, MS – Aerospace Engineering / Biomedical Engineering / Mechanical Engineering Concentration
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 (some exceptions exist).
- The GRE is required of all applicants to the department.
- International students must have at least a “B” average in undergraduate courses from a non-U.S. institute
- Applicants whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS test scores. To be fully admitted, applicants must submit a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL; 80 on the TOEFL iBT or 6.5 on the IELTS.
If you are interested in pursuing graduate study, apply through Graduate Admissions.
Please note the Graduate Admissions application deadlines.
Click here to learn more about financial support opportunities.
For more information on how to apply or questions about the application process, contact:
Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering Graduate Programs
For specific questions about our graduate programs, contact:
Graduate Program Director Dr. Kivanc Ekici
414 Dougherty Engineering Building
Knoxville, TN 37996