Sr. Academic Advisor
The MABE department recently established the Undergraduate Advising Center, which is located in Dougherty, Room 316A. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Students in Mechanical, Aerospace or Biomedical Engineering are assigned to one of two professional academic advisors upon their acceptance into the department. We encourage students to contact us at any time with questions about the curriculum, course planning, minors or needed paperwork such as petitions, ROTC or study abroad forms. We can also put students in touch with faculty mentors who can guide you in decisions regarding careers, research, and graduate school.
The Undergraduate Advising Center meets with all MABE students on a yearly basis, though more frequent visits are encouraged. The required advising term is determined by the last digit of the student ID number:
- Even ID numbers are advised in the fall, before spring registration.
- Odd ID numbers are advised in the spring, before summer or fall registration.
Advising is also required each semester for the following:
- Students on who are on academic probation or are ‘off track’
- Students who have not accumulated 30 hours at UTK
Our advising schedule follows the general pattern outlined below:
- Walk-in appointments are available on a first come, first serve basis from the beginning of the current semester through the deadline to add, make changes to grading options or drop without a ‘W’ (full term session). These appointments are used to address issues related classes in the current semester only and cannot be used for required future term advising.
- Thereafter, students with required advising for the next semester will receive a link from their advisors to the appropriate appointment calendars via their UTK e-mail account. Please note that you must sign up for an appointment 72 hours in advance. Each student is responsible for bringing a completed list of courses that he/she anticipates taking, and without this list the appointment will have to be rescheduled.
- Students who are not required to have an advising session, but would like one, are encouraged to e-mail a MABE advisor to inquire about setting up an appointment.
If you have questions about the process, or simply want to speak with us, please feel free to contact us. We are here to help you successfully navigate your way through to graduation!